Re: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 04:41:42 EST

On 17-Jan-00 Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>> o Not using the "sparse superblock" option on large disks
>> when creating them.
>
> Sparse superblocks can be turn on/off by the current tune2fs.
> You follow it by a fsck to clean up, then it's done.
> I was hoping they'd speed up the mount but its still takes an age...

The slow mount check has nothing to do with sparse superblocks (or superblocks
at all). It makes sure the summary counts of the free blocks and inodes match
the bitmaps in each of the block groups, which takes time proportional to the
filesystem size. It may also touch the superblocks, but since they're always
in a block group header/summary, the drive head is probably close enough that
the additional access time doesn't make much difference (whether they're sparse
or otherwise).

It's probably worth modifying the filesystem so that it only does the
consistency check if the filesystem wasn't cleanly unmounted (but then you're
going to fsck it anyway, right?).