Major autofs rework

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 21:48:14 EST

Hi,

I've significantly modified the autofs filesystem in order to support tree
mounts (Solaris-style /net, for example). As part of this I've reworked it to
use dentries directly rather than maintaining a parallel set of structures.

This patch implements autofs protocol v4, but it should be completely backwards
compatible with automount v3 daemons. Conversely, the automount v4 daemon
should work the same as a v3 daemon when used with a v3 filesystem.

I'm particularly interested in 3 things:
- is autofs doing the right thing by the VFS?
- does forwards/backwards compatability work properly?
- is it solid?

Patches for 2.2.x, 2.3.x and the user-mode code are available at
http://www.goop.org/~jeremy/autofs