Usage of bootmem interface

From: Paul Gortmaker (p_gortmaker@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 06:28:22 EST

Does anyone know if you have to call free_bootmem() for mem
obtained via alloc_bootmem() or does the kernel's call to
free_all_bootmem() do this for you? I noted that something
simple like:

bmem_test() {
        p=alloc_bootmem(SIZE);
        free_bootmem(p, SIZE)
}
__setup(test, bmem_test);

even fails to work. I ask because I was trying to use the bootmem
interface (to temporarily store the ether= info supplied at boot until
the dev layer is ready to use it) and everything works fine until I
try to free_bootmem() which triggers a BUG() in bootmem.c at 102.
Line 102 of bootmem.c is in free_bootmem_core:

        if (end > bdata->node_low_pfn)
                BUG();

Unfortunately there arent (m)any other users of the bootmem stuff that
I can use to compare to/learn from.

Paul.