Re: [OT] PDP-8 - was: Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Gerard Roudier (groudier@club-internet.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 16:53:30 EST

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Guest section DW wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 02:45:11PM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
>
> > A friend of mine is still occasionally making money with PDP 8 software.
> > Some of these systems are being used for control of industrial machines
> > which keeping up with the version number bloat of the industry was not
> > necessary and, the hardware seems to be rock solid so they're still
> > running the same software after all these decades.
> >
> > How old are these machines today?
>
> Ah, nostalgia. My first operating system, with virtual PDP-8's on a PDP-8.
> That must have been around 1968-1973.

PDP8-A (0.075 Mips, 1.6 us memory access cycle), 64 KWords x 12 bits,
connected with 12 block-mode terminals with local edition (12 users),
printers and some other peripherals as protocomposer, tape, ..., running a
full preemptive O/S, making good use of overlay for batch processing,
fully interrupt driven, DMAing from disks, etc ... (all the code including
boot rom being proprietary). Could be paired with parallel port and
mirrored disk data between the both machines. Booted in less than half a
second.

This was in 1979/80 and such systems have probably been used until 1985
or later.

Gérard.