Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 11:57:58 EST

ralf@uni-koblenz.de (Ralf Baechle) writes:

>A friend of mine is still occasionally making money with PDP 8 software.
>Some of these systems are being used for control of industrial machines
>which keeping up with the version number bloat of the industry was not
>necessary and, the hardware seems to be rock solid so they're still
>running the same software after all these decades.

>How old are these machines today?

A company where I worked still makes _lots_ of money with an
industrial process controlling system built in the early 1970ies. They
have two of these systems set up in their basement for testing, do
regular work on them (these systems account to about half of their
electricity bill if I recall correct) and I think they pushed them
successfully over the Y2K barrier. They make real money with these 25+
years old systems. Oh, and these systems control things like water or
electricity. Things like nuclear power plants in some of the less
dense populated regions of this planet.

10 MB hard disks the size of large pizza stacks. Lots of
pizza. They're called "hard disk" because if one falls on your foot,
it's hard not to scream. :-)

        Regards
                Henning

>"Embrace, Enhance, Eliminate" - it worked for the pope, it'll work for Bill.

Imagine a world dominating software company whose "Chief Software Architect"
writes programs in Visual Basic...

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen --             hps@tanstaafl.de
TANSTAAFL! Consulting - Unix, Internet, Security

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 "There ain't no such D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 thing as a free Linux"