Re: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 08:50:08 EST

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>>
>> The only point of delaying flushes to disk is to merge two writes into one
>> single flush. This applyes even more strongly to floppies that are very
>> slow to write data. The slower the disk is, the more delay you want to
>> have between the flushes.
>
>Definitely not.

It is instead. Otherwise you would drop the flushtime field and you would
simply tell kupdate to flush all dirty buffers out there.

>unlike floppies, real disks are often used in a much more random-access
>way, with multiple open files etc, and they are much better at taking
>advantage of large writes. Floppy accesses tend to be "save this file as
>a backup or for moving to another machine". Very different.)

And when you say "ah, I wrote the wrong vmlinuz file, so just overwrite it
with the right one" and you have to wait the double of time before being
able to extract the floppy. That's ugly IMHO.

Andrea