Using ide-cd and ide-scsi simultaneously..

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 05:07:00 EST

Prior to a RedHat 6.1 upgrade, I had ide-cd and ide-scsi working
simultaneously. My hdc is my HP7200i writer, and my hdd is my
Toshiba 4x CDROM. I want the writer to ALWAYS use the ide-scsi
module (and yes I want it modular), and the Toshiba drive (hdd)
to ALWAYS use the ide-cd module.

I had it working like this no problem with a lilo.conf append
line for ages (since around last January). Unfortunately the
RedHat 6.1 auto-upgrade destroyed my lilo.conf and I had no
backup of this file.

I have been unable to once again achieve the configuration that I
previously had. I have scoured the documentation and kernel
docs, lilo docs, etc.. for a week and a half and I now give up.

What is the proper way to force ide-scsi on my hdc, and ide-cd on
my hdd drive?

Yes, I have ran lilo after any lilo.conf changes, and no this is
not a RedHat kernel, it is a homebrew kernel using the same
config I've used for a year. It was working fine, and MUST be
related to my lilo.conf or conf.modules since the kernel I was
using prior to the upgrade, is the same binary and modules I used
after upgrading to RedHat 6.1. I just upgraded to 2.2.14
yesterday, using the same config.

Please don't offer suggestions of recompiling my kernel, or
anything other than the proper stuff that I should have in
lilo.conf or conf.modules, as I'm not interested in alternative
solutions, I just want what I had back, and I'm using the same
kernel so I know it will work. I'm sure it is something minor,
but I'm pulling my hair out and traditional lists haven't turned
up any responses.

My current lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda6
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.14-1
        label=linux
        read-only
        vga=ext
        root=/dev/hda6
        append="hdc=ide-scsi,hdd=ide-cd"

image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.13-4
        label=linux-13-4
        read-only
        vga=ext
        root=/dev/hda6
        append="hdc=ide-scsi,hdd=ide-cd"

My current conf.modules:

alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias sound sb
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org