Re: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 22:53:46 EST

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Erm... You know a way to fsck root without mounting it?

[ Note: I said _fdisk_, not fsck. Completely different things. Fsck is
  another alias issue, though, so I'll give you an answer anyway, even
  though this is not the same issue we were discussing ]

It doesn't matter.

You CANNOT synchronize that case anyway, and you should just realize that
and not even try too hard.

Hint: the buffer cache is the _least_ of your worries. You have the inode
cache and dcache already populated, and whatever you do to the buffer
cache will have absolutely no impact on them at all.

To be strictly safe, we should just do a complete unmount/remount after
the fsck, not just what we do now (ie a "remount" without the umount). It
hasn't ever bitten us in real use, though.

                        Linus