RE: Can't compile 2.3.3x for Athlon, 2.

From: Domsalla, Thorsten (thorsten.domsalla@sap.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 02:53:09 EST

Hi!

> I can run 2.3.34 w/ no problems. No modifications, other
> than selecting "Athlon", required, although I do always
> select "Enable MTRR Support".

So I do. What does your arch/i386/Makefile looks like? What
compiler options are used for compiling the source code modules?

>> whenever I try to compile kernel 2.3.3x (2.3.34 to 2.3.38)
>> I get a gcc abort because of colliding -march=pentiumpro
>> and -march=i686 options.

Deleting the -march=i686 option in arch/i386/Makefile makes
it. Also the message "Can't find linux/errno.h" disappeared.

>> But, after reboot my system freezes to death after showing
>> the message "Uncompressing kernel". Hm?!?

This problem remains.

>> SuSE 6.3, egcs-2.91.66, Gigabyte, AMD Athlon 500
> Up to 2.3.40pre1 i´ve got no problem. Seems to be a SuSE problem.

It's a compiler option in arch/i386/Makefile of the source tree
of the developer kernel I downloaded from kernel.org.
I cannot see any dependency to SuSE or to a newer version of egcs.

Thorsten