Re: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 20:16:02 EST

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000116140625.32274V-100000@calvin.shorelink.com> George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com) wrote:
GB> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> They blocked ORBS. It's enough. What they are saying is not relevant. What
>> they are doing IS relevant. ORBS does not send incorrect mails, it does not
>> send incorrect IP/TCP/whatever packets and it does not produce a lot of traffic.
>> The only reason to block ORBS is to make addition to ORBS's blacklist faster.
>> And if above.net wants to be blocked... They are blocked. What a problem ?

GB> We had quite a discussion on the matter in the SF Bay area (including
GB> Silicon Valley) newsgroups. More and more companies and networks are
GB> blocking ORBS.

So they are provocating war. It's their choice. ORBS did not started that war.
We'll see results.

GB> You will find that you are not blocking these nets by using ORBS, they are
GB> choosing to block the people that use ORBS.

Hmm. How they can find if I'm using ORBS or not ? They bloked his clients
from sending mail to me. Good for me :-)

GB> YOU are the one being blocked from receiving mail.

Yes. And as far as I get mail from my friends (and important peoples like Cox)
it's Ok for me to be blocked.

GB> That some self-appointed group can interrupt ones communications by
GB> presuming guilt until one subjects to a search goes against some core
GB> principles that many of us hold dear.

Which one ?

GB> Who are these people, and who elected them?

If *I* added ORBS check to my sendmail.cf then I'm who elected them :-)
Why you do not asking the same about MAPS RBL ?

GB> The fix is to simply refuse to submit to their searches and probes making
GB> their database less one of open relays and more one of those who will not
GB> obey their demand.

This is not exactly right. This will just split Internet and we'll get two
parts: one where ORBS is useless and one for which ORBS give correct results.
Mail from first one can not go to the second. I prefer to be in second part
but if it'll make my friends anavailable I'll switch to first one.

GB> Those how choose to use them will find their own communications hampered.

We'll see :-) Ones who want to cross border line will find their communications
hampered. And so far all my friends on side where ORBS is usefull.

GB> To find one guilty and impose punishment in the absence of any evidence of
GB> wrongoing simply because one refuses to submit to search is wrong.

Why ? It's the only thing ORBS can do.

GB> It must be stopped.

Try if you can. Good luck.

GB> The goal is a good one, the method is evil. I would strongly suggest that
GB> all net admins block these probes.

Hmm. Since you still can send mail to me your own admindoes not block these
probes. Start from him and cut yourself from linux-kernel :-)