Re: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 13:46:27 EST

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > first interface if hd is there. Making hd a module is not hard, so...
> > BTW, did somebody actually try to use current ide.c with ST-506 controllers?
>
> It worked in 2.2.x, don't know about 2.3.x, my last MFM test kit died 8)

Note that at some point (and when it comes to old original ST-506
controllers that point has long since been passed, methinks), you can just
say

 "if you haven't upgraded your hardware in 10 years, why are you upgrading
  your OS?"

I mean, even the very first version of Linux didn't really support ST-506.
I had an IDE disk, and yes, that was when IDE still was basically 100% sw
backwards compatible with the old standards, but even the original "hd.c"
was really meant for IDE disks (people just didn't realize how much the
two were to diverge ;)

So if something was considered old and just happened to be supported back
in 1991, I think that in 2000 we can tell people that no, 2.4 won't
necessarily work with your old 4.77MHz ISA card that has an original
ST-506 controller on it that people used on their old 8088's).

I don't think I've ever seen one, in fact.

(Oh, I remember when the 1542CF was considered the high end of PC SCSI
controllers, and people were saying that it was the one to get for its
good support across platforms and its performance. "It's a bit picky about
cabling". These days, even that venerable controller is almost passing
into the same category as the ST-506 - although unlike the 506 I bet you
can still find them at Fry's - at about the same cost as buying a new
motherboard with a built-in symbios SCSI controller).

                        Linus