RE: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 07:58:49 EST

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000115160009.32274N-100000@calvin.shorelink.com> George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com) wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, David Schwartz wrote:

>> But this is not what ORBS is shaping up to be at all. It continues to
>> represent itself as containing only proven open relays on the main 'what is
>> ORBS' type pages while this is actually far from the truth.
>>
>> DS

> Anyone using ORBS to filter any kind of important mail is probably nuts.
> The funny thing is that their approach does not work. All people have to
> do is set their MTA to relay for ORBS and their database is junk.

No. They database are not junk afterwards :-) Just you'll be blocked and
unable to send me mail. It's just funny way to not send me mail. Why you'll
do this is sane mind ? If you do not want to send mail to me the do just that:
do not send mail to me. Why you must block itself with ORBS ?

> They start listing all kinds of servers as open relays when they, in fact,
> are not.

If someone asking for punishment he deserve to be punished. Relaying for ORBS
while not relaying for spammers is just that.

> Other lists contain mail servers that have actualy been used to send
> spam and are more useful.

ORBS is not replacement for MAPS RBL for sure. It's complementary service:
MAPS RBL lists systems only after rigorous checking (and this will need
lots of time) but it's hard to pull system out of RBL's blacklist. ORBS
doing blacklist automatically and fast but it's trivial to pull system out of
ORBS blacklist (it it's not open relay anymore that is).

> What ORBS has is a database of mail servers that will relay for ORBS and
> servers that will not allow them to connect. Sounds relatively useless to
> me.

It's systems who want to be punished (ones who doing relay for ORBS but not
any other relay and blocking ORBS altogether) and list of open relays. Of course
if you'll remove first ones from list list will become useless but right now
it's usefull. As complimentary service for MAPS RBL, of course.

> I simply disagree with the approach. I might have a bit less contempt for
> them if they did not list open relays for spammers. In practice they are a
> search engine for spammers.

Since open relays in ORBS are blocked anyway they are useless for spammers.