Re: 32-bit UID support

From: Andreas Jaeger (aj@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 14:48:37 EST

> Can Chris or someone please tell me what is the reason behind leaving
> __kernel_uid_t == short on x86 architecture, and adding
> __kernel_uid32_t? To me, it sounds more reasonable to rather make
> __kernel_uid_t == int and add __kernel_uid16_t == short for binary
> compatibility things.

> As a result of current status of things, 32bit uid support does *not*
> become visible to the userspace when you rebuild glibc with the new
> kernel source. To make it take effect, you also need to modify glibc
> source, and in a rather illogical way.

> Am I missing something?

Even if this would be changed, glibc still needs to properly handle
some of the structs which have been enlarged. And changing the size
of kernel_uid_t might enlarge some structs - this would lead to lots
of incompatibility.

glibc 2.2 will have support for older kernels with 16bit and and newer
ones with 32bit UIDS - without a need to recompile your application.

Andreas

--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de