Re: MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum 16

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 03:26:39 EST

> Hi,
>
> does anyone know how to use the Media Vision (important!) Pro Audio Spectrum 16
> with Linux ?
>
> I tried using 2.3.38 sound driver. the docs recommend for Media Vision card
> _not_ to use the ProAudio driver (pas2) but use it as plain SoundBlaster.

I wouldn't recommend that, the "plain soundblaster" on the PAS-16 is a
8-bit device. (The very first soundblaster) The native PAS-16 driver
provides
16-bit stereo at 44.1 kHz which is better.

You may use both drivers simultaneously, effectively giving you two
sound channels.
I.e. use pas16 for serious sound and the sb part for digitized system
beeps and such.

This dual solution works with the driver compiled into the kernel, I
have never seen
it work with modules. It seems impossible to tell the OSS driver to
load different
modules for /dev/dsp0 and /dev/dsp1.

This worked for me a year ago. I haven't been able to get any sound at
all
from the pas-16 in 2.3.3x Not as module, not when compiled in. Please
tell me
how you got it partially working, I may then try from there. (Send me
the .config
used for compiling, and the /etc/modules.conf file)

Module loading attempts just give me a "device busy" error, a built-in
driver
merely logs "sound initialization started" followed by "finished", no
card info
inbetween, and no error messages.

Helge Hafting