Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #27

From: Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 16:37:02 EST

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 Andy Barlak <andyb@tosko.alm.com> wrote:

> Encountered internal compiler errors with pgcc from Mandrake
> distribution when building 2.3.37-39 kernels. Heeding advice
> from this list, I uninstalled the mandrake pgcc and installed
> egcs-1.1.2-24 from the four redhat rpms.
> Now the kernel compile completes without internal errors
> ( a few %eax warnings) but the bzImage stops loading:
> Uncompressing kernel....booting the kernel
>
> that's where it stops. Even kernels previously built with
> pgcc that booted fine now hang when rebuilt with egcs-1.1.2-24.
> What have I overlooked?
> Much modified Mandrake-6.0 distribution.
>
> Andy Barlak

     For what it's worth, I built it on Pentium system, Asus motherboard,
200mhz Pentium using gcc version 2.7.2.3, and got exactly the same thing. The
machine hangs indefinitely at that point but will respond to
control-alt-delete. I believe this was originally RedHat 4.2 distribution
though much has been upgraded since the original install. 2.2.14 works fine on
this same machine.