Re: Linux 2.3.39 has 32bit uid. What about 32bit pid?

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 18:46:02 EST

>> Thus, if we change get_pid() so as to use pids larger than 32000
>> we need CONFIG_15BIT_PID (default=n) so that people who cannot or
>> do not want to recompile their ipc using stuff can use a new kernel.

> /proc/sys/kern/max_pid ?

I do not think that would be meaningful.
A new distribution comes with recompiled applications.
People installing things themselves can choose between
recompiling the applications or configuring with CONFIG_15BIT_PID.
If the default is to use 31 bits instead of 15 bits, then I cannot
see any need for dynamically adjusting max_pid.

(And I would prefer things to be right by default, not that we
all have to add stuff to our rc scripts with
        echo 2147483647 > /proc/sys/kern/max_pid
or so. Before you know it this will grow into an entire industry,
with scripts trying to determine whether some old ipc using stuff
still exists, and to use an appropriate echo.)