Re: [RFC] 2.3.39 zone balancing

From: Kanoj Sarcar (kanoj@google.engr.sgi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 16:48:29 EST

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Kanoj Sarcar wrote:
>
> > No, I am referring to a different problem that I mentioned in the
> > doc. If you have a large number of free regular pages, and the dma
> > zone is completely exhausted, the 2.2 decision of balacing the dma
> > zone might never fetch an "yes" answer, because it is based on total
> > number of free pages, not also the per zone free pages. Right? Things
> > will get worse the more non-dma pages there are.
>
> Kanoj, you're wrong. 2.2 works quite well because of the fact that the
> low memory mark will tend to consist almost entirely of DMAable pages.
> The only allocations that regularly eat into them on a loaded machine are
> interrupts, which tend to be short term allocations anyways. But as soon
> as DMAable memory is freed, it tends not to be allocated until interrupts
> consume all memory again.

Okay, you are telling me what _mostly_ happens, the problem I have pointed
out is one that can _probably_ happen under the right conditions of
temperature and pressure. Its a good idea to design against boundary
conditions, and then improve the design ...

> > Oh, okay I see. There is nothing about the dma zone then, you could
> > make the balancing more aggressive for the other zones too. Basically,
> > these kinds of tuning should be controlled by sysctls (instead of
> > aggressive balancing, there may be sites with drivers that need
> > many high-order pages, they would be willing to sacrifice some
> > performance by doing more aggressive balancing. Comes under finetuning
> > in the doc.
>
> Whoa, hold on here. Last time we tried to do more aggresive balancing, it
> was a complete and total disaster that resulted in completely random swap
> storms, resulting in spectacularly unusable systems on the lower end
> (iirc 64mb was around the breakeven point). Before harder limits are
> placed on memory types and orders, the behaviour of both kswapd and the
> allocator need to be tweaked. so put in the mechanism, but don't start
> enforcing it too aggresively.

Absolutely. I am _not_ suggesting doing anything much different than
in 2.2. All I am saying is that we can provide sysctls (with their
default values to mimic 2.2 behavior), then individual developers
can tweak those and do performance experiments.

Kanoj