RE: February 30th 2000

From: nathan.zook@amd.com
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:55:39 EST

BZZZT! Thank-you for playing. (Although you are getting warmer.) The
purpose of leap years is to keep the equinoxes (equinoxi?) & solstices
fixed. This is important for the agrarian & hunter-gatherer segments of
society (which used to be almost everybody), since planting, breeding and
migrations are sensitive to these things. Many (most?) religions also had
feasts similarly tied.

But the length of day is dependent upon orbital _geometry_ (ie: The angle
between the Earth's axis and a line segement between the centers of the
Earth & Sun), not its _position_ (ie: distance to the Sun or location in the
orbital elipse).

Leap seconds are completely unrelated, since they are designed to keep the
Sun overhead at noon, which was the definition of a day before the railroads
got involved.

Nathan