Re: Linux 2.3.39 has 32bit uid. What about 32bit pid?

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 19:56:43 EST

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 05:31:07PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > but some (two) of these structures include also __kernel_pid_t.
> > So I'd like to ask, whether we are going to 32bit pid_t in 2.3.
>
> Probably not. Let me ask a related question - are you going to miss
> 2 bytes of padding in case ? I'd use 32bits in case

We should make sure now that we are able to go to a 32-bit pid_t if
we think we may ever do this, likewise for large dev_t and ino_t
values for things like stat.

Yes, I know we have padding now -- but do we have enough padding in
all the right places to endure we are not going to require yet
another ABI in the kernel in the next year or two?

-cw