Re: 2.4 and Strong Cryptography...

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 07:06:02 EST

"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com> writes:

> ] SEC. 740.13 TECHNOLOGY AND SOFTWARE < UNRESTRICTED (TSU)
> ]
> ] (2) You may not knowingly export or re-export source code or
> ] products developed with this source code to Cuba, Iran, Iraq,
> ] Libya, North Korea, Sudan or Syria.
> ]
> ] (3) Posting of the source code on the Internet (e.g., FTP or
> ] World Wide Web site) where the source code may be downloaded by
> ] anyone would not establish "knowledge" as described in subparagraph
> ] (2) of this section. In addition, such posting would not trigger
> ] "red flags" necessitating the affirmative duty to inquire under
> ] the "Know Your Customer" guidance provided in Supplement No. 3
> ] to Part 732.

Although it does not affect me where I live, these two subsections are
the outcome of a twisted mind. You may not export things to the
countries named in (2), but you may publicly offer the stuff for im- and
export (download). Subtlety: with active FTP, you actually have your FTP
server export things. %-)

Thus, (3) effectively swallows (2), both paragraphs could safely be
omitted.

--
Matthias Andree

Hi! I'm the infamous .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!