Re: core dump

From: The Lost Wizard (lost@l-w.net)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 19:04:46 EST

Ordinarily I would do that. Unfortunately, to get anything done via gdb,
it stalls the process while you're looking at it. In my case, I'm looking
to get a "snapshot" of the state and poke around at it at leisure without
stalling the process.

Why would I want to do that? Well, suppose I'm running a MUD or other item
that has others using it. Suppose also that it is running well, but has
some unusual/undesirable behaviour that is nonfatal. I want to be able to
see what the data structures look like without actually stopping the
process. I am talking about processes that tend to run for days or weeks
at a time.

It would be extremely useful to be able to get a core dump that gdb
understands without having the process stall longer than it takes to write
the core and have it continue merrily on its way.