Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: Bas Mevissen (sgm@plamev.demon.nl)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 16:56:59 EST

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >Well, I'm pretty sure dhcpd uses stdio and malloc, so it won't save nearly
> >as much space unless you replace those libraries with something of the
> >not-glibc variety.
>
> Why do you want dhcpd itself on an initrd? Surely you need only a simple DHCP
> client.

But then you have to write one (or find a small one). That seems to be te
price we pay for keeping the kernel clean from things that can be done in
userspace. Unfortunately, it means that esspeccialy the (embedded)
developers have to write something theirselfves because of space
limitations.

> >It gets really inefficient really fast to have _lots_
of static binaries on > >one disk. My ideal solution would be something
like this: >
> If they're small enough it probably doesn't matter. Remember that for shared
> libraries you also need a dynamic linker.

Hmmm. So for embedded linux systems (where space is critical), we probably
should use a small libc library with a very small linker or use one
statically linked do-it-all application, with the disadvantage that you
cannot use standard sources too easily :-(

Bas.