Re: core dump

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 10:39:47 EST

>On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Christophe leroy wrote:
>>Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 12:03:42 +0100
>>From: Christophe leroy <leroy@ensea.fr>
>>To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
>>Subject: core dump
>>
>>Is there a way to make a core dump of a program without killing it,
>>in order to make some debugging while the program is still running ?
>
>kill -SEGV <pid>
>
>or
>
>kill -11 <pid>
>
>or
>
>killall -SEGV <process name>
>
>I believe that will do it, so long as coredumps are not disabled.

Nope. All of these terminate the process. I believe what is desired is
more like:

        kill -STOP pid

Which will suspend the process. Use the debugger to look at memory.

Other than this, I don't know of a way to extract the core dump.

After looking at the suspended process, remember to do

        kill -CONT pid

to resume it.