Potential kernel bug...

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 03:45:00 EST

I have been getting odd messages in my syslog now for a while, at
least with 2.2.13, and with 2.2.14 now. I do not know why or how
they get there, if it is a bug in syslog, or the kernel, however
they are very anomalous. It appears like a buffer overflow or
misplaced pointer in the kernel somewhere corrupting something.

I have posted about this before, and did NOT receive ANY answer
whatsoever. Either my post didn't make it, or nobody felt like
answering.

So before I go to all the trouble I did last time, I'd like some
e-confirmation from you guys that you are interested in hearing
my potential problem.

Basically, I get messages in syslog that say "kernel: <garbage>"
every so often. I seem to also have other misc problems.

I'm not using ANY 3rd party modules, just a stock 2.2.1[34]
kernel, and compiled with egcs that comes with RedHat 6.1. No
freaky mods or anything...

Does someone care to see the error messages reported? My machine
does not die from them nor seem any less stable.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org