RE: time_t size: The year 2038 bug Summary:

From: Ben Kosse (bkosse@iname.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 04:18:46 EST

Good grief people.

YES, we'll need to break code, but just doing it *NOW* is not appropriate.
We should start out by first implementing the new interface and then give
programmers a year or two of it _in the stable kernel_, before we
depreciate the old version, removing it no later than 2020 or so.

Just saying "well, we can break it whenever" is not appropriate, and
something like this which impacts userspace dramatically shouldn't even be
done over the course of a single dev kernel.

--
Ben Kosse <bkosse@iname.com>