Re: Linux + SMP

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 03:34:54 EST

On Mon, 21 Jan 1980, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

> I have a small paper to do for friday about Linux and SMP and I have
>only a few questions that I found few information in the Web (even searching the
>linux kernel mailing list archives).

Well, you've got all the time in the world then. Well, at least
20 years... (hint - look at the date on your message)

> If anyone can answer some questions about Linux and SMP I will be very
>graceful.
>
> 1) When Linux kernel begins to support SMP (what version)? and How many
>processors and types of machines it supported in the beggining?

2.0.0
I believe all arch's support SMP that have SMP hardware avail, or
close to all.

> 2) What support Linux 2.2.* (stable versions) provides about SMP?

Much faster SMP with finer grained locks rather than a global
kernel lock.

> 3) What are the main routines and functions in Linux 2.2.* that provide
>support for SMP?

I can't help you there. SMP is strewn throughout the kernel I
believe, and is not in one place.

> 4) What support Linux 2.3.* (unstable versions) provides about SMP?

I believe even much more finer grained locks, allowing for
multiple processors to be doing more stuff simultaneously rather
than waiting for a lock to become freed.

> 5) What are the main modifications (routines and implementations) in
>2.3.* that provide new levels of support for SMP against 2.2.*

Again - can't help you there.

> 6) How SMP implementation of Linux 2.2.* compares againts NT or FreeBSD?
>
> 7) How SMP implementation of Linux 2.3.* compares againts NT or FreeBSD?

I believe from what I've read that 2.3.x is getting very very
very good and that NT had better watch out. ;o)

No comment on BSD as it would just start a flamewar. ;o)

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org