Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug Summary:

From: Daniel Taylor (dante@plethora.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 20:34:28 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > To plan that (probably someone else) will perform a critical
> > fix in 25 years is ludicrous.
>
> Yup, someone predicted (about 1900) that to 2000 streets of London
> will be filled by 3m layer of horse shit. Luckily, this prophecy
> was not taken seriously. :-)

Well, it didn't happen. I would say that it didn't happen, just like major
Y2K failures have yet to show up, because someone DID take it seriously.

They did something about what was a serious problem that could have
become catastrophic if they didn't deal with it. And in both cases the
people who were really serious about the problem acted as soon as it was
possible or practical to do so.

There will still be 32 bit systems in 2038. they will probably be mostly
in embedded systems, TV sets, VCR equivalents &c. Some of these systems
will be 10-20 years old when the fateful date hits. This will occur as
certainly as there are still 4 and 8-bit embedded systems in service
today.

There will be systems dealing with "look-ahead" dates past 2038 well
before then ( Some systems may be dealing with this even as we speak).

If Linux is not capable of dealing with these situations cleanly, people
will do as they have always done:

1. Hack around the problem (often incorrectly)
or
2. Use a system that is not so limited.

Daniel Taylor