Re: 2.3.3[78]: kernel oops in pci_fixup_compaq

From: Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 23:49:35 EST

On 10 Jan 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> My 8way does not boot any more with 2.3.3[78]. I get the following
> oops during PCI initialization:
>
> >>EIP; c02997b6 <pci_fixup_compaq+2e/44> <=====
> Trace; c020fadb <pci_do_fixups+3b/4c>
> Trace; c020fb02 <pci_fixup_device+16/34>
> Trace; c021e1a0 <call_apic_timer_interrupt+1f54/86bc>
> Trace; c01070f9 <init+69/230>
> Trace; c010906b <kernel_thread+23/30>
>
> BTW this is not a Compaq machine.

No, but it is an 8way machine, and to my knowledge, all 8way machines with
the possible exception of the very early Hitachi machines use a
combination of the Profusion chipset to allow 8 processors to be in the
same box, and some Compaq North Bridge chips that do the hot plug PCI.
The function that is oopsing is called specifically because your machine
has those Compaq Hot Plug PCI chipset north bridge chips in it. Now, why
it's oopsing is beyond me because I'm behind the 2.3 kernel series...

  Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but
      they should be everybody's.