Re: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes

From: David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 19:13:05 EST

he is not saying that he has to ship a 2.3 kernel, he is reacting to the
fact that he will have to ship a 2.4 kernel. the blame for this lies
squarly on the legal department who decided that they had to ship a
"current" disto. There is some semblance of reason for this as they want
to try and limit the support costs by not using "obsolete" versions, but
given the way many of the major distros patch the kernel before shipping
it you still may have problems. The answer is to figure out some way to
educate the legal department to allow for a more gradual change so that
you can build the system now using (for example) redhat 6.1 and when you
ship the product you ship it with redhat 6.1 kernel 2.2.x, even if redhat
7.9 kernel 2.4.x is out by then, after you upgrade your driver to match
the 2.4 kernels you can then decide if you want to go to the trouble of
upgrading.

As an example 3ilinux is starting to sell a linux based appliance (embeded
system construction) that is starting to ship jan 2000 and is based on
redhat 5.2, they are working to upgrade to a newer kernel and when they do
they will start shipping something else. In the Solaris world there are a
LOT of drivers/firewalls/etc that will not work on 2.7 and so I have ~20
suns runnint 2.6 as that is the latest that is supported, this is not a
linux only problem.

David Lang