Re: sched fixes 2.3.36

From: Scott Henry (scotth@sgi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 16:21:01 EST

>> tasks. IMHO with the reliable active_mm information we have in 2.3.x (so
>> being sure to do the right thing) using a +5 should not hurt (maybe we
>> could remove 4 points from the per-processor penality?).

A> Search the kernel archives for late 2.1.x about jumpy SMP behaviour. People
A> traced problems back to the processor favouritism.

A> I also saw no difference on performance when testing multi-cpu load stuff
A> with different values. I think Ingo also did some stuff with this

Any effect will be dependent on the size of the caches. Any effect
would be very small (might be non-existent) on a Celeron (128kB L2
cache), and might be quite noticable on a 2MB L2 Xeon. Cache sizes
inbetween would be expected to have intermediate affect.

Anybody benchmark how much of the L2 cache gets dirtied in a
"typical" (probably read/write) syscall that also goes through
schedule()?

--
 Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com> /  Help! My disclaimer is missing!
 IRIX MTS,                   /  GIGO *really* means: Garbage in, Gospel Out