Re: value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag changing due to masquerade traffic

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 15:38:08 EST

   Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 16:40:51 +0100
   From: Ralf Nyren <plumbum@linux.nu>

   I've noticed that when ip-traffic, to be masqueraded, is sent
   through my firewall the value of
   /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag changes up and down. Both
   positive and negative values have been observed.

This is very peculiar because if this is true then the ip_masq
module would see negative module reference counts as well!

We increment/decrement the value exactly at the places where
the module reference count in incremented/decremented, which is
where ip_masq structures are created/destroyed respectively.

The only other spot where we modify the value is in IP firewalling,
and there we only increment it, and we only do it once, for the
first time we see potential transparent proxy activity.

Is there some script or other entity messing with the value on
your system?

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com