[OT] Re: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes

From: Tom Leete (tleete@access.mountain.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 04:10:05 EST

"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:

> No. According to our Legal Department, to satisfy the GPL requirement
> that we provide source to the end-user, they required that we supply a
> "current" distribution of Linux if the end-user requests it.
>
> This seemed, by them, to be an easy solution to possible problems.

Legal is steering for shoal water and ordering up steam.

In this thread you described some of your products with
justifiable pride. Legal will need to expand a *lot* if you
ship medical or ATC subsystems with development kernels.

More on topic, it is useless to the point of misleading the
customer if you ship source which doesn't correspond to
what's in the product. My understanding of GPL is that
source must match binaries.

IANAL, BTW

Good luck,
Tom