Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 20:09:27 EST

> Problems:
> -bootp, how do I know the server is THE server

You don't

> As said any smart suggestions welcome, if possible I would like to keep
> the bootrom used to get the kernel intact ;|

Ah.. that is where the problem starts. You need some kind of crypto to authenticate
the setup and that has to be in the boot rom because the dhcp phase itself can be
spoofed. I don't actually see a way around this (A similar problem occurs btw with
the 'how do I bootp over ipsec' situation)

Alan