Re: [Semi-OT] hot-swapping kernels

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 22:38:06 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:
> I think a kernel as second-stage bootloader is overkill.

Functionality-wise, yes. Maintenance-wise, probably not. Let me explain:
the complexity of the boot process is gradually increasing over time.
One source of complexity is added functionality in the Linux kernel, e.g.
RAID. Another source of complexity are more complex setups people want to
build, e.g. see the tftp thread in linux-kernel.

Mirroring major new kernel functionality in a boot loader tends to be a
time-consuming business and always contains the risk of version drift.
Also, if a feature is missing in the boot loader, it will be hard to
add by users who need it.

On the other hand, a Linux kernel is implicitly capable of handling
everything one might successfully throw at a Linux kernel. Somebody
who is able to make use of a given feature in a "regular" system
should also find it quite feasible to make use of it from the second
stage. In particular, normally, no modification of the boot loader
will be necessary.

Of course, using a little Linux system as a second stage loader may
appear excessive. One issue can be space. On most regular PCs, there
is sufficient storage space nowadays to afford this overhead. There
will always be exceptions where space is highly critical (e.g.
embedded, diskless, etc.) so the current, more streamlined boot
process needs to continue to work.

Another issue can be time. That's why I think it will be necessary
that the first kernel can pass the results of bus scans etc. directly
to the second kernel. The latter can then skip this process, or
possibly initiate a new scan in the background (e.g. if the second
kernel may be able to see more devices), while already proceeding
with the information passed from the other kernel.

> I think people should rather work merging the advantages of LILO and
> those of GRUB, to get a DECENT bootloader.

Don't forget all the non-i386 architectures. Also, there are several
specialized boot loaders on i386 alone (e.g. SYSLINUX), which may have
to track some changes too.

- Werner