Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: Marc SCHAEFER (schaefer@alphanet.ch)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 03:12:40 EST

Khimenko Victor <khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru> wrote:
> Do you really NEED to tftp an initrd - that's the question. As Cox's
> written 10 times (or so) you can solve you problem with other tools.

Just my 0.2 cent:

   - Etherboot supports loading kernels by TFTP, but also supports
     initrd. Tested, works.

   - Etherboot may not support all plateforms (I didn't check).

Of course, this means you need kernel + compressed initrd size in memory
+ decompressed size, and this could be a problem if you have little memory.

Recreating a new initrd is possible, independantly from the kernel
image (you use a tool named mknbi to glue them into a tagged-image).

I am not sure this has any relevance to the discussion.