Re: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 17:34:33 EST

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > names) for next to any object in the kernel. ioctl() is, excuse me, a
> > barf-bag for all irregular stuff. So yes, both classes have irregular
>
> ioctl is indeed the barfbag - but its a stroke of genius by people who realised
> that some things could never cleanly be expressed in the basic API concepts
> and that a small clean API with a "weird()" entry point for the other stuff
> is long term better than a large bloated API with no ioctl that forces
> you to understand a large interface to program to a small one. Try NT
> programming

To hell with NT. There is a bunch of guys in NJ who did quite fine without
ioctl(2). And they got smaller interface - no magic numbers, no bloat, no
extra functions. I don't give a damn for NT - I've seen Cutler's code (in
RSX) and I have quite an opinion about his design abilities and taste, but
said opinion is completely unsuitable for family reading. But I have some
respect to _that_ bunch - you know, Thompson, Ritchie, Pike...

|From: Dennis Ritchie <dmr@bell-labs.com>
[snip]
|Neil Franklin wrote:
|>
|> No ioctl()s?
|>
|> Something like: echo "38400,8,n,1" > /ioctrl/ttyS0 ?
[snip]