Re: /proc guidelines and sysctl

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 14:19:05 EST

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 06:47:52PM +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 11:49:09AM -0800, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:
> > Because system calls are performance-sensitive.
>
> When I start top and press down the space bar (starting keypress repeat),
> then this top process sucks up ALL CPU POWEER of my p-ii 333, and STILL is
> unable to cope with ~30 refreshes per second.
>
> Incidentally, top only uses sycalls to access this information it requires
> (namely open/read/close ;) IT's just that it needs _hundresds_ or even
> _thousands_ of syscalls.

The top included in the procps-suite (which is what commonly is used as top
on linux) uses the procps library, hence it uses the procfs. Even the "real"
top has dropped sysctl support back when the kmem-ps suite died and now
uses almost exclusively lookups in /proc.

What was it what you wanted to prove?

Yours,
  Dominik Kubla