Re: /proc guidelines and sysctl

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 05:43:08 EST

"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> Martin Dalecki writes:
> > breed@almaden.ibm.com wrote:
>
> >> Actually the bloat/mess has to be somewhere. Either in userspace
> >> trying to make sense/stay in sync with the kernel structures,
> >> or in the kernel where it has the structures. Obviously everything
> >> shouldn't go in /proc, but there things that are simplier either
> >> in the kernel or in user space.
>
> I rewrote ps. Properties of a good solution might be:
>
> 1. single system call returns an array
> 2. all values are 64-bit (larger values can be split)
> 3. binary data
> 4. reasonable choice over what data is returned
>
> Of course, ps must use the Linux kernel 2.2.x /proc for a while.

The process status relate sutff there is no problem for me.
What makes me shudded mostly are all those other not well outtought
little ugly animals which reside there. Bascially not just animals but
gangs
of them... It may be well worth to give back life to the sysinfo call to
solve
the problem of getting at free/vmstat info.

--
	Marcin Dalecki