Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 19:31:22 EST

David Wragg <dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk>:
>Jesse Pollard <pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil> writes:
>> And even then it is limited to 64 bits on a 64 bit system (unless the
>> compiler is non-standard - ie "long long" type of thing).
>
>long long is in ISO/ANSI C99.

depends on the maximum size the hardware supports. Defining anything longer
isn't standard. long long may be 64 bits (on a 32 bit system), but not 128
which it just might be where the size of long is 64 bits..

This causes portability problems when you can't depend on the size of
a int/long/whatever. I've had this problem before when porting perl. The
network socket calls all assumed an int was 32 bits. The original perl
4.xxx wouldn't work on a cray (at least, not the socket stuff, everything
else did work).

My reference was off.. I've still got an earlier edition and didn't
know they changed that. I had seen the construct, just didn't know it
was now standard.