Re: Eicon diva isdn card

From: Karsten Keil (kkeil@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 15:33:40 EST

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 02:44:23PM +0530, Bindinganavile, Vinuthananda (CTS) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Firstly, wishing you all a great new year.

I do so too.

> I have an Eicon Diva 2.01 ISDN card and using Redhat 6.1. I have also have
> downloaded the isdn4linux utility. The card is being detected by Linux. The
> interrupt is alloted(checked thru /proc/interrupts). Using some example
> shell scripts which I found on the net I tried to test the card. But I was
> not at all successful. If I give the command to dial from "isdnctrl" I just
> get a "call triggered" reply and back to prompt. What does this mean. How
> do I check data transfer?

1. you can do a hisaxctrl <id> 1 0x33ff and look at the messages on
/dev/isdnctrl

2. You can open 2 minicom one on /dev/ttyI0 the other on /dev/ttyI1
set a MSN with AT&E<MSN> and dial the MSN on the first with
atd<MSN>. You should see a RING on the second minicom and you can type in
ATA there.

> 1) Can I call up any normal telephone with this setup or has it necessarily
> to be an ISP. I ask this bcoz I just want to test whether I can call using
> the card and I donot intend to connect to any isp.

No, because a telefon don't accept data ISDN calls.

> 2) Should I use pppd or any other utility.

Normally you use ipppd or make a raw IP connection (depends what your
provider offer to you).

> 3) Is it possible to setup the device using gnome or kde without using
> isdn4linux. Or can I use isdn4linux to set up the device and then call thru
> "PPP dialer"

You can try kisdn (no experience).

> I am really desperate to set up this thing and am failing from the past 3
> days. Any step by step instructions will be great.
> I also glanced thru the isdn4linux faq but did not find any answer
> suitable.

Then you miss the Link to Paul's english ISDN page:
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/i4l-howto-uk.html

Karsten