Re[2]: xntpd: was ok with 2.2.14-pre17, broke again with 2.2.14

From: Barrie Spence (baz@sqf.hp.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 11:05:13 EST

Tim Walberg <twalberg@terabridge.com> wrote:
> I've never seen a kernel yet where this **doesn't** happen at least
> occasionally - Linux, Solaris, HP, or otherwise. It can be caused by
> erratic drift in the system clock caused by high load, as well as by
> a congested network/internet leading to irregular delays in polling,
> as well as a number of other factors. So I expect to see this on
> occasion. I would only worry if you see it very often - e.g. more
> than once or twice an hour, or if you never see a "synchronized
> to..." message within a few (<10) minutes after a "synchronization
> lost".

We get these messages frequently/constantly on our machines
(PII/PIII with 2.2.13/2.2.14), but I've largely attributed this
to our use of HZ=1024 since it wasn't apparent with HZ=100.(We
have two broadcast NTP sources on the subnet).

Barrie

--
Barrie Spence (313-2465)                Agilent Technologies UK Ltd
E-Mail:   baz@sqf.hp.com                South Queensferry, UK