Re: First draft list of 2.3.x "Things to fix"

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 08:45:47 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:45:59 -0500 (EST), "David L. Parsley (lkml
account)" <kparse@salem.k12.va.us> said:

> I guess the ext3 and RieserFS journalling are coded radically differently,
> then? Have you looked much at the RFS journalling code, enough for a
> _real_ 'quick & dirty' comparison? Just curious...

They are structured differently but end up doing very nearly the same
thing. Chris and I have had exactly the same problems to solve and a
lot of the solutions are similar.

However, right now neither codebase can deal with VM memory pressure
well, because the VM simply doesn't export a mechanism by which a
filesystem can react to that right now.

--Stephen