RE: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Mike Porter (mike@UDel.Edu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 21:18:00 EST

> People who write bad code will write bad code no matter how large a time_t
> is or isn't, and then code will break. Even if you make a time_t 64-bits,
> the people who cast it to an 'int' or write it into a 4-byte database slot
> will still be screwed on 32-bit machines.
>
> The code I write today is Y2.038K-compliant. Long before 2038, there will
> be Y2.038K-compliant libraries to link it to and operating systems to run it
> on. My code will not break.

Assuming it can be recompiled. Not all programs are available in
source. Source gets lost (there was a big market for object to
Cobol 'disassemblers' recently). Vendors go away. Vendors charge
large amounts of money for upgrades. Upgrades don't run on older
operating systems. Newer operating systems don't run on older
hardware.

Mike