RE: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Peter Svensson (petersv@psv.nu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 16:55:54 EST

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, David Schwartz wrote:

> Bull. The volume of the 64-bit chip will be much higher since it can do a
> larger range of tasks. This volume increase may actually result in the
> 64-bit chip being cheaper.

Not so. I design embedded devices for a living and there is most definitly
a large price difference between a Z80-based core and a 68k based core.
The smaller, slower and older cores are a lot cheaper among other because
they are manefactured using processes which are in less demand, very high
yeild etc.

Actually, the Z80 core is still popular. As for power, a slow-clocked
narrow-bussed chip draws less than a fast clocked wide one. If you don't
absolutly need the bigger one, use the slower one. Actually, almost all
8-bit cores are produced using rather recent technologies to lower the
current consumption.

> I don't believe it. Let me put it this way -- what's the current cost
> difference between a '286 desktop and a '486 desktop? One is 16-bit, the
> other is 32-bit. It's zero, basically. Why is that? Doesn't the '486 need a
> more expensive bus architecture? Doesn't it need a more expensive processor?

Instead ask what the difference is between an 8-bit cpu and a 486. It's
huge. In a market where every dollar counts the big cpu:s are a no-no. In
a regular pc the cost of the cpu is rather insignificant, the monitor is
the killer there. And guess what: monitors based on older technologies do
sell.

> Sure, but those tasks will be done by 64-bit chips even though they're
> suitable for 32-bit chips. Everything will. It's the same reason I'm using a
> P3-500 to write this email even though a '386 would suffice for the task. We
> redefine the tasks to fit the available hardware.

And because the price, power consumpotion etc are important in some areas
I have spent most of my professional career designing code for small
pityful processors. They get the job done, and do so cheaper.

By 2038 you will most likely still find lots of systems being manefactured
with 4, 8 and 16 bit processors as well as 32-bit ones.
"If you underpower it - the programmers will probably get it to run anyway"

Peter

--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF