2.2.x lockup

From: Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale (arnaud@carrosse.frmug.org)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 08:23:59 EST

Hi,

I have just had a bad system lock up. I had already experienced a
similar one, but my setup has changed somewhat between the two.

The system is my home workstation, running notably a small news
server. My syslog dumps everything to tty12. I was looking at it
while the news server was receiving a news batch. I noticed something
I wanted to have a look at, so I scrolled up using shift+pgup. New
syslog entries were coming up, so I kept pressing shift+pgup, when the
machine locked up. There was some garbage on the screen, looking like
it locked up while redrawing the screen. The box was completely
frozen, no disk activity, no num lock, no alt+sysrq
combo. Unfortunately, I have no trace of oops or anything like that ;
however, as I was looking at the console, I guess I would have seen
one if it had occured :-)

Apart from the news server and stuff, I was running several other
servers which were idle at the time (postfix, apache, postgresql...),
an active nfs server (userland, with only one client), X and Gnome on
another vt, an irc session, icq, and xmms.

Hardware is dual celeron 433 on an abit bp6 mb, 128 Mb, two hard
drives (6.4 Gb seagate udma33, 4.5 Gb IBM UW-SCSI on a Tekram DC390F),
two ethernet cards (pci ne2000 for my home LAN and isa ne2000
connected to a cable modem), sb 128 pci, Matrox Marvel G200. I am
using a heavily patched 2.2.14pre12 kernel (with Tekram SCSI driver,
Andre Hedrick's ide patch and ext3fs support) on a Red Hat 6.0 based
distro (more like a Red Hat 6.1 now, though). All my filesystems are
ext3, with /home on the ide disk and everything else (including the
news server) on the scsi disk.

I had a similar crash some weeks ago ; I was running plain 2.2.13,
with ext2 filesystems, and I didn't have the sb128 but an old
82c930-based sound card.

--
Arnaud