RE: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Jakma, Paul (Paul.Jakma@compaq.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 07:29:42 EST

> Noone uses old machines for very long. How many of you are
> still using a
> PDP-10 (30+ years ago) or an Apple classic (20- years ago) for "real"
> work?

Compaq still support PDP's because they are still in active use. I know of
sites that still run PDP-11's!!

We were selling *new* microVAXen up until Nov '99!!

So I guarantee you that in 2038 there will still be plenty of 32-bit
hardware in active use. Certainly enough to make time_t be a problem. (just
think of embedded systems).

-paul jakma.