Re: [2.2.14] bttv: missing CONFIG_VIDEO_MSP3400

From: Arjan van de Ven (adve@oce.nl)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 03:07:13 EST

In article <m3iu18p3zm.fsf@mantuzo.rhein-neckar.de> you wrote:
> adve@oce.nl (Arjan van de Ven) writes:

>>In article <m3k8loojie.fsf@mantuzo.rhein-neckar.de> you wrote:
>>> CONFIG_VIDEO_MSP3400 is missing from drivers/char/Config.in.
>>
>>That's because it is in the lowlevel-sound section...

> Hmm... I don't have a sound card[1] so I would have never thought that
> I have to enable "Sound card support" and "OSS sound modules", then go
> to "low level sound drivers" just to get a fully working BTTV driver.

You needed that in the "old" (2.2.13 and before) situation as well. Now it's
just explicit, instead of having a non-compiling kernel or a driver that
refuses to insmod.

> Isn't it unusual to have the code and the configure option is
> different directories?

It's not ideal, but it happens on other situations.

> I don't know what else uses the msp3400 code, but for a normal user it
> belongs to bttv, not to the sound card section.

There are other situations just like this. For example the MIRO radio-driver
(ACI) has a similar situation.

> At least there should
> be a note in CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848's help, telling the user to go to the
> sound section to enable sound support for bttv.

That's always a good idea.

This hole mess is caused by the fact that the current Config.in system
has problems with ordening. msp3400 really needs sound (OSS commercial or
build-in, whatever), but that question is asked later on "make config". This
kind of "forward-dependencies" happen on other occasions as well, and others
are unsolvable at all...

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven