Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 23:35:02 EST

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu>

well... Codasyl (Conference of Data Systems Languages) was 1959/1960 it
had to have been hard to imagine that code or practices written then
might
still be in use forty years later, particularly when business computing
had only emerged in the previous decade,and computers at all in the the
one previous to that. it's perhaps easy to to call them shortsighted,
but
to be honest who could have imagined this?
[Snip]
Lots of people imagined it. We not only imagined it we complained
bitterly, but IBM insisted that card real estate was too precious. I
also got arguments about all the extra keystrokes slaves would have do
keypunching those extra two digits. The only differnence now is that
calling them shortsighted won't put my job on the line. They were
shortsighted. Their successors are myopic.
Sorry for the OT rant.
Garst