Re: First draft list of 2.3.x "Things to fix"

From: Mark van Walraven (markv@wave.co.nz)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 18:17:25 EST

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 04:58:57PM +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> Miquel> Does this include the fixes for the ringbuffer / dev_alloc_skb
> Miquel> that a lot of the ethernet drivers have (personally confirmed
> Miquel> on tulip, eepro100, and epic100). It causes the driver to hang
> Miquel> indefinitely on heavily loaded machines, very bad for Linux's
> Miquel> image ... It looks like most if not all of Donalds drivers
> Miquel> have this problem, but Donald hasn't posted one word (or
> Miquel> patch) on this subject yet, alas.
>
> Would be nice if someone who knows what the problem is posted a
> description of whats wrong and what needs to be fixed (very likely
> that already happend, I just happen to have missed it in that case).

The best info I have found so far is:

    http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9911.3/0050.html

There's also:

    http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9911.3/0521.html

though I have been unable to get his driver working on my system. I'm
going to try to apply just his ring buffer fixes to the driver from 2.2.13.

Regards,

Mark.