Re: First draft list of 2.3.x "Things to fix"

From: Chuck Lever (cel@monkey.org)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 15:33:30 EST

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Chuck Lever wrote:
>
> > > The order is approximate priority. It may also not be totally accurate.
> > > Suggestions/fixes welcome.
> >
> > may i suggest:
> > + some or all of ingo's latency patches
> > + 32 bit uid/gid support
> > + madvise
> > + ibm's task struct cacheline fix for goodness()
> > + appropriate dynamic sizing of kernel hash tables
>
> Chuck - your fdalloc patch was fairly self-contained wasn't it? That's
> a nice, cheap speedup in some useful cases, isn't it?

that was niels provos' work... we haven't actually measured its effects
in the real world yet, but it looks promising.

btw, i'd also like to second the vote to get the very latest nfsv2 and
nfsv3 stuff integrated. and perhaps something (small or large) could be
done to help the RAID situation in Linus' kernel before 2.4?

was someone going to integrate some of the IKD features ??

        - Chuck Lever

--
corporate:	<chuckl@netscape.com>
personal:	<chucklever@netscape.net> or <cel@monkey.org>